Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Giving My Thanks

Last week, I shared how I wanted my family to know how thankful I am for their part in my life. This week, I am sharing how I am intending on doing that.

A long, long time ago, more like 10 or 11 years ago, I was really into scrapbooking, stamping, making my own cards and things like that. Then I got out of it because I didn't have the time, I moved away, etc. My mom even sold all of my stuff for me. I didn't think I would ever need it again. WRONG!

This summer when I made the invitations to my sister-in-law's baby shower, the bug bit me again. But this time, I had no supplies. I was off to Michaels, Joann and a local stamp store to buy all new ink pads, paper, paper cutter, punch cutters so I could make these invitations.

I haven't made any cards since, but to remedy that, I want to make cards for each of my family members to include by their plates for Thanksgiving, even my not-quite-two month old niece. I bought my paper and accessory supplies this weekend, but if I don't start working on those cards now, I won't get them done in time. I am what they call a procrastinator. 

In writing these cards, I want my family to know that I don't appreciate them just because they are family and that is what families are supposed to do. I want them to know that I appreciate the things they do even if they don't realize they are doing it. How just by being who they are, I am thankful for their part in influencing my life.

Two years ago, I lost my dad the Friday before Thanksgiving. And with Thanksgiving, those memories come back because we had to jump right in our first holiday season without my dad. Unfortunately, death has a way of putting things into perspective that would never have been seen otherwise. While death isn't a fun thing to think about, it is a part of life and I don't know what the next day, week or year will hold for me or my family. But I never want them to doubt how I feel about them.

How have you shared your thankfulness for the special people in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment