Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Decisions, Decisions


So….I think I have found my house. It is in a great area. It has almost all the features I would want in a house, and some that were bonuses - dining room, two living areas, two bathrooms, a decent size kitchen, a fireplace, fenced yard, an attached garage. It is a good size, not to big and not too small. The price is right, too.

But, I don't have the emotional attachment that I have felt toward other houses. In a way, I almost feel indifferent toward it. It would feel comfortable in my decision knowing that it would be a responsible purchase. I think my biggest hinderance is that it isn't updated at all. Most of the houses I have seen have been updated in some way. That isn't to say this house is in bad shape because that isn't true. It was clean, but dated. There is a lot of wallpaper.

I am okay with putting in the work and also waiting for work to be done. I know then it will truly be my home and not a home that other people worked to update. I told my mom this morning that if it had new carpet and paint, I would probably feel much better about it. The master bathroom also needs a lot of love. It was a bit gross. I feel a little like those people on HGTV's House Hunters. Some of those people are absolutely ridiculous in their expectations.

In a way, I think not being emotionally attached is a good thing. I wouldn't want to be so "in love" with the house that I side step structural issues or any other major issues that I would have to deal with down the road. There is a possibility that the house is in a floodplain. But I will have to wait to talk to the bank to see for sure. 

Either way, the next few weeks will be interesting. I am ready to truly get settled and I am just not able to do that at my mom's. It is a good place to be while in transition, but I am ready to be on my own.

So this story is to be continued….

No comments:

Post a Comment