Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Where Is My Motivation?


Yesterday, I wrote about participating in the Glass City 5k. This race is full of all types of people, from runners hoping to break a personal record to causal walkers and everyone in between.

Among the large group of participants are new runners. Some may have started as a New Year's Resolution and this may have been their first race. A 5k is a relatively short distance and a good distance to start with as a first race.

We came across a girl early on the course, who was a bigger girl. When we first saw her, she was walking. We passed her, but then she started to run and passed us. This went back and forth throughout the race. When she stopped her running spurts, she was breathing heavily. But she was obviously doing the best she could. She did end up crossing the finish line before us.

I have to give her a lot of credit. I don't know when or why she started to work toward this particular goal. Maybe it was to lose weight or just get healthier. She was doing something to better herself. She was working towards a goal. I don't know if she was happy with her time or just glad to have finished. She had obviously put in time and effort to participate.

I need to lose weight. It is something I have struggled with for a long time. I joined a gym at the end of February and I have only gone once. And that was only because I had a free training session. I have no motivation. It can't be because I want to run a race. I have to want to do it for myself. My family has a history of heart disease, so I have a legitimate reason to be healthy. Because my genetics are not going to be in my favor.

So what do I have to do to make my dreams a reality? I need the same determination, dedication, self-discipline and effort that every athlete needs to accomplish their dreams and goals. Even though I don't know the name of the girl that was running, she was an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment