Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

The Church Hop

When I lived in Illinois, I loved my church. It was fantastic - the music, the preaching, everything. It was also a very large church, some would say mega-church, but it still felt like home. I was involved in a small group and went to their singles ministry meetings. So although thousands of people might be there on a Sunday morning, I didn't feel like a face lost in the crowd. I can't accurately describe it, but there is something very special about that church.

After I moved to Pennsylvania, I knew I would have a hard time finding a church because I would want to compare it to my previous church. That would not be a fair assessment. No two churches are the same. For a year I struggled with finding a church. And then I found out my church in Illinois was planting a church right near me. I was beyond excited! I got involved right away before the church had even launched. After the church launched, I volunteered and hosted a small group in my home. But after almost 2 years, something just didn't seem to fit.

So for the last several months, I have been looking for a new church. It feels like I am back at the beginning again. Finding a church is hard. Now, with the convenience of technology I can check out a church before attending a service. I am able to look at their website to see what they believe, what kind of ministries they have, etc. I can even listen to a full Sunday service. This has been helping me narrow my search. Before I even step in the door, I can see if they are a church that is Bible-believing and Bible-teaching.

Another aspect of my church search is that I don't know where I am going to be in a year. There is a high probability that I may not even live in the area next year. That makes it hard to want to get involved knowing that I am not going to be able to fully commit. Lots of praying needed to go on here.

Thankfully, I serve a God who is everywhere and not just in the four walls of a church building.

No comments:

Post a Comment