Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Trip to Amish Country


It is finally fall! I love this time of year. Leaves changing, colder temperatures, football season, pumpkin everything....it is fabulous!

To start off the season, my mom and I went to Shipshewana, IN for some shopping. Shipshewana is in Amish country. From May to October, a flea market is held on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Because of the holiday, it was also opened on Monday. It is fun to walk around and see all the stuff for sale. Some are really good deals like the autumn welcome sign I got for $12. I also got mini muffin tins for $3.75 a piece. Not bad either. Some prices aren't that great, so it pays to shop around a little bit.

While it is fun to look around at all the vendors at the flea market, my absolute favorite place to stop in Shipshewana is E&S Sales. It is a grocery store, but they sell dry goods in bulk. And the prices are really good. They have so many things in there that it is best to go with a list because it is really easy to overspend because the prices are so low. They added a huge new section that basically doubled their store size. Because of the crowds on Monday, I told my mom that we weren't going to mess around. Just get in and out.

Our last stop of the day was at Das Dutchman Essenhaus. The food at this restaurant is unbelievable. It is so good. I get the same thing every time, a roast beef manhattan. It is a roast beef sandwich and mashed potatoes drenched in gravy. YUM! And of course, the meal must be finished with a piece of pie. They have so many to choose from. My choice this time was the chocolate peanut butter banana pie. My mom had pecan pie a la mode. They also have a bakery there was so many yummy things - breads, cookies, whoppie pies. It is such a great last stop to make on our way back home.

All in all, it was a fun day. Seeing all the fall decorations gave me the nudge to move a little more quickly to get my summer stuff down and my fall stuff up. I am looking forward to a very busy fall season. Before we blink it will be Christmas, but I want to enjoy this season first.

No comments:

Post a Comment