Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Day to Never Forget



On Facebook and Twitter, people have been sharing where they were when they heard about the terrorist attacks on the United States. I was getting a massage. I was in massage therapy school at the time. Our teacher was giving us a break from normal classroom time and allowing us to practice on other students. The husband of one of the girls in my class called the school. Since a TV was not readily accessible at the moment, we didn't see the initial coverage. However, the days afterward were filled with coverage of lower Manhattan, the Pentagon and rural Pennsylvania.

September 11 has become a day of remembrance. Remembering the lives that were lost. Remembering the people who are living victims. People were going about normal activities when their lives were forever changed. As a country this date has a new meaning.

I have had the opportunity to see Ground Zero since the attacks. It is a somber experience. I can't even imagine the horror that happened at that place 12 years ago. I would like to see the memorial that has since been set up in place of the twin towers, as well as the memorial at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania. These are now national landmarks just like the battlefields in Gettysburg or monuments in Washington, D.C.

What can my response be to honor those people whose lives were forever changed? Make sure my family and friends know how much I love them and don't take them for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment