Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Consistency and a Little Puppy Love


One year ago, I took home a little 6-pound black puppy. And the night before, I didn't think it was going to happen. Let me explain....

The brother of a friend of my mom's had a dog that had a litter of puppies. These puppies had the most adorable little faces. I wanted a dog, but figured I would rescue one. I really wasn't interested in getting a puppy. But these faces...I couldn't resist. There was one girl dog and I wanted her to be mine.




My mom lives in Ohio and I live in Pennslyvania. I was attending a wedding the next weekend, so I would have to wait until the following weekend to pick up the puppy. This was fine with the seller. So the next weekend, I made the 4-hour trip to Ohio. After I arrived, my mom had to tell me that the seller didn't want to give the puppy up. They had grown attached to her. My mom's friend was trying to help out by texting and calling her brother, letting him know that this wasn't right. But he wasn't budging. I was devastated, sobbing because I wasn't going to get this dog. Because I had grown attached, too.

Thankfully the next morning, my mom's friend called and said she had the dog and we could come and pick her up. Oh, happiness!! That morning, we picked up my new precious little puppy who I named Luna. Her full name is Luna Starr (2 r's) Jones.




I actually can't believe that a year has passed already. She is my little buddy. We have definitely had our ups and downs. Potty training was not fun. But she is a smart dog and LOVES people. Currently, we are in the middle of a beginner training class. It has been a challenge for both of us, but we are learning a lot.

Just like in anything, it takes consistency. And that is a struggle for me. I have to be consistent so Luna recognizes the commands I give her. I have to work with her at home. She isn't going to master the commands in an hour-long class once a week. It is going to take time and lots of treats, but eventually she will understand what I expect her to do. It takes practice so she learns the behavior.




That is one area I am working on as I participate in an online Bible study through Proverbs 31 ministries. It would be so easy for me to slip off the track and no one would notice. Over 24,000 thousand woman from all over the world are participating. So if I drop off the map, it wouldn't make a difference, right? Wrong! It would make a difference for me. I would miss out on all the blessings of being a part of this community of woman who want to say yes to God.

I am struggle with doing daily devotions and spending time with God. But I can easily fill my time with things that I don't need to do. I have really enjoyed working on this study and it has only been one week. Hopefully, this excitement will keep me going, so that I will learn the behavior God expects from.

So I will keeping working with Luna on her behavior and keeping working on mine as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment