Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving For One

So I thought I was hosting Thanksgiving this year. I wrote about it, planned for it, maybe even stressed a little over it. Well, it turned out that my plans were all in vain. My brother and his family were supposed to come and they were not able to make the trip. And my mom decided to stay home as well since she was on vacation for 2 weeks in November. It actually may have worked out better because western Pennsylvania was supposed to get a bad snow storm that turned out to be less climactic than was predicted.

Last weekend, we went to my mom's house instead. I thought we were going to have Thanksgiving dinner there. Wrong again. We did go out to dinner, but it wasn't Thanksgiving. I wanted turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.  I love Thanksgiving food!

Since everything changed, I decided that just because I wasn't going to be with my immediate family didn't mean that I couldn't have Thanksgiving. I could have gone to another family member's house, but to be honest, I just didn't want to. So being my independent self, I made Thanksgiving just for me!

I obviously wasn't going to making some 12 pound turkey, so I bought a turkey breast roast. Something I could easily manage and I found a crock pot recipe!



My mom bought me brussel sprouts, since I have had a little bit of a craving for them since eating them in NYC. I was also given a  butternut squash by my mom's neighbor. 



My stuffing didn't turn out and my potatoes were barely on the right side of eating, so they weren't that great, either. I didn't have a pie crust and my lazy self was not about to go out and buy one. I had all the stuff to make my own but I don't have a pie pan. I made a crustless pumpkin pie. I am not a huge crust lover, but there is something about an actual pumpkin pie that would have made it taste better. 



All in all, it was a pretty good day even though I was by myself. The one bad thing is that the cook has to clean up her own kitchen!




No comments:

Post a Comment