Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Strawberries Everywhere

My mom and I went strawberry picking on Saturday. We have a local farm that has a pick your own section and we were able to stock up. Whittaker's Berry Farm was such a nice place to pick. Even with all the rain we had, the rows were covered in straw and everyone was so nice and helpful. I would definitely go back again next year.

The plants were loaded with strawberries so it didn't take long to fill up our boxes. We were given boxes to use. My mom used one box and I opted for two. Can't say that I will do that again.

I may have overdone the picking. I ended up with around 20 pounds. It was hard to stop picking because there were always more yummy looking strawberries.

I spent the rest of the day in the kitchen making all things strawberry. I did make these wonderful looking Strawberry Swirl Pound Cakes. These are both packed away in my freezer. I also made two batches of freezer jam. It is so easy to make and so yummy! I use the directions in the Sure Jell package.

Luna does not like when I ignore her all day, so she tries to make sure I don't forget her. She often stands between me and the counter when I am cooking or baking.

Even at the end of Saturday, I still had an abundance of strawberries. It was a little overwhelming. By mid-afternoon on Sunday, they were all put away. I was so strawberried out that I didn't even keep any out to eat.

Luna and I felt the same at the end of such a busy weekend. I definitely wasn't ready to go back to work on Monday. But I love have a freezer full of summer strawberries!

No comments:

Post a Comment