Pages

Monday, July 28, 2014

Kitchen Reno Week 6

One of my most anticipated projects on this kitchen reno started this week - the floor. The old flooring  is a really gross yellow/gold vinyl flooring that wasn't just in the kitchen, but extended all the way up to the front door. It was in a bad shape. When my mom and I first got in and started cleaning we were hoping that the floor just needed a good scrub and then would be good to go for a while even if it wasn't pretty. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. It wasn't coming clean no matter how much scrubbing was involved. Let's just say, I haven't walked barefooted downstairs since I bought this house...because of the floor.

I had originally wanted ceramic tile in my entry way and kitchen. That is the tile that I knew and thought I wanted. My mom has it in her house and has lasted a really long time. But as I looked around I was presented with some different options. I chose Congoleum Duraceramic in Warm Pewter. It is a tile that is glued down, but can be grouted so it has the appearance of a ceramic tile. I had actually picked a similar tile at another store before I decided that I was going to redo the kitchen.

So far, just the kitchen has been done, but getting rid of that yucky floor is already giving the kitchen a clean look even if it is covered in construction dust.

It hasn't been grouted yet. That will hopefully be done next week along with the rest of the entry way and hallway.

The other exciting thing that happened this week is that my countertops were templated! I cannot wait until that comes. I went in with an open mind as far as countertops go, but was pretty certain I would end up with a solid surface countertop. I really didn't want granite because I know there is some maintenance to it, but would have considered it. But in deepest dreams included quartz. Well, there was nothing I liked in either solid surface or granite, but I found a quartz I loved! In a few weeks Cambria Quartz in Minera will be covering the cabinets. More exciting things to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment