Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Trying to Make the Big Girl Decisions

I have written before about the need my house had of being updated. The family room needed a lot of help, but much of that has been taken care of through paint and carpet. Next in line of most horrific rooms is the kitchen.

I enjoy cooking and baking, so a semi decent kitchen was necessary. When I was looking for a house, I wasn't looking for a perfect kitchen, but I wanted one with potential. And that is what I got. The kitchen is a decent size, but it needed a lot of help.

So this is what I have to work with. Not a whole lot of counter top space, but manageable. The cabinets don't look bad in this picture, but the bottom section is pretty scrapped up. But still manageable. But there is a problem.

Here it is. The built-in stove. It is a dinosaur. And it is pretty gross. The elements and drip pans can be replaced. It turns on and the reason I know that is because they checked it during my inspection. The oven is pretty yucky. I think it is as clean as it can get and that isn't saying much. However, I don't know how well it works.

My mom and I went to a few places to get some ideas. My kitchen Pinterest board is another place that is full of things I would love to put into place. However, my favorite store to plan out my dream kitchen design is Anderson's. It is a local store and the designer I worked with was FANTASTIC! I even picked out my finishes.

Flooring, countertop (Quartz!!!), cabinet style and color and even a backsplash.

But paying for it is the hard decision. This is my first house. I am paying more than I did in rent, but I am making more money. My car is within 2 months of being paid off, so that will put more money in my pocket. But I don't want to overtax myself. I wouldn't mind being married to this place for the next several years if it gives me the house I want. I am planning on staying here for a long, long time.

But is it worth spending the money now? On one hand, this kitchen in its current state is may not be usable. On the other hand, can things be utilized now to get me through the next year? So many decisions and not a lot of time. Anderson's has a 3 year same as cash deal going that only lasts for about another 3 weeks. This story is to be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment